Firstly you have to get get into a routine! Here’s a few tips that helped me to build my own regimen.
- Shampoo your hair with a moisturizing shampoo 1-2x/week (Preferably sulfate free)
- Use a de-tangling conditioner to finger comb and GENTLY detangle your hair while wet
- Use a moisturizing deep conditioner with heat (At least 45mins) after every shampoo
- Always follow up with a leave-in conditioner
- Use a water-based moisturizer 2x/day (Morning & night) then seal in the moisture with a natural oil
- Always wear a satin/silk scarf or bonnet to bed
- Relax at least every 8 weeks (If you can go beyond that, even better)
- Do a protein treatment when needed (Whenever the hair feels very limp, mushy, overly soft etc.)
- Trim when needed
- Use a Clarifying shampoo (remove buildup) 1-2x/month (depending on the amount of product you use)
- Use a wide tooth comb to comb/detangle your hair. You’ll experience less breakage
Here are the products I use to get me started!
I purchase these items varying from my local Beauty Supply store, Target, Walgreens, Ulta, Ricky’s NYC, and Trader Joes. Always be sure to shop for different prices and to sign-up for emails to receive coupons and discounts.
1 Clarifying Shampoo (ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo)
2 Moisturizing Shampoo (Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo)
3 De-tangling Conditioner (Suave Almond + Shea Butter Conditioner)
4 Light Protein Treatment (ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor)
5 Moisturizing Deep Conditioner (One ‘N Only Restorative Mask)
OR 6 Moisturizing Deep Conditioner (Miss Jessie’s Sweetback Treatment)
7 Leave-In Conditioner Liquid (Creme of Nature Argan Oil Leave in Conditioner)
8 Leave-In Conditioner Cream (Uniq One Hair Treatment)
OR 9 Leave-In Conditioner Cream (Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Repair Cream)
10 Heat Protect Serum (Fantasia IC Heat Protector Straightening Serum)
11 Heat Protectant Spray (Fantasia IC Heat Protector Straightening Spray)
12 Light Styling Oil (Amika: Oil Treatment)
13 Daily Moisturizer (Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Moisturizer)
14 Natural Oil (Trader Joes ExtraVirgin Coconut Oil)
@ your local Trader Joes
14 Natural Oil (Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil)
15 Wide Tooth Comb
16 Satin or Silk Wrap
17 Small Tooth Tail Comb
Wearing my hair straight.
Now for the good part! I made it as a flow chart so it would be easier to read and understand. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns.
Need a visual step-by-step tutorial? Follow my Wash | Rinse | Blow Dry & Flat Iron routine video Here!
I hope this helps! Happy Hair Journey
& Don’t forget to follow me!
– JodyAnnC xo